canberrabirds

Honeyeaters still moving over Duffy today

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: Honeyeaters still moving over Duffy today
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 14:53:07 +0000
Today I was back in Robertson, 200 kms approx. north-east from Canberra, but I found myself in a steady stream of migrating Honeyeaters. Presumably a continuation of the trend of migrating Honeyeaters reported by COG members in recent weeks.

The main flocks I saw were parties of about 10 to 20 birds travelling in loose flocks. There were both Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters, and one fast moving tight flock of about 15 Noisy Friarbirds, travelling silently. A real contrast to their normal lifestyle.

I am intrigued that the Friarbirds and (in previous years here) Red Wattlebirds appear to follow the same flight paths as the smaller Honeyeaters. Both these much larger Honeyeaters end to travel in tight groups, not mixing with the other species. Yet travelling at the same time as them, and in the same direction.

Thanks Martin for remembering that I describe the White-napes as making a "mewing" call. Everybody seems to agree with the Yellow-faces going Chip, Chip. But Noisy Friarbirds being silent, and together, was seemingly out of character for that species (a peaceful migratory collusion?).

Denis Wilson