canberrabirds

Scarlet Robin

To: 'COG List' <>
Subject: Scarlet Robin
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 04:58:13 +0000

Hi all,

Having birded locally in and around Canberra for over 50 years, I don’t need graphs to tell me that the robin and many other species are declining. I had to laugh when I read the Canberra Times article asking for comments on the draft plan of management for the species. There is one, and only one, simple answer – STOP BUILDING HOUSES ON THE BIRD’S HABITAT – it really is that simple. We destroy valuable natural habitat for housing and use a clapped out piece of former pine plantation eminently suitable for housing to put in a totally environmental UNfriendly useless arboretum. I have looked at the current ACT list (I was on a committee that reviewed the status of the ACT’s birds) and from memory there were 72 species that COG should be keeping records on. Many of these to my way of thinking are in a far worse situation than the Scarlet Robin. One of these days I will get around to writing something on my thoughts (Michael Lenz don’t hold your breath) for Canberra Bird Notes. Many of the species involved will rarely figure in the GBS survey so that source of information is not very good.

Whatever comes out of the plan I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for the current ACT environment minister (who won’t be there after the next local election) to do anything constructive. I have had numerous dealings with him via email and found he is at best ignorant and at worst stupid when it come to the local environment. The same goes for the Chief Minister who is just plain arrogant. The dollar will come before everything else with the environment generally last in their thinking. Several people on the chat line have commented on proposals to build new suburbs or extra housing in existing areas. No-one from the government will take any notice of you or of COG. I wish you well trying to stop development but you are really flogging a dead horse. The only thing that scares me more than this current government is the thought of what the Liberal Party will do to the so called “Bush Capital”.

Mark