canberrabirds

Pink-eared Ducklings

To: 'CanberraBirds' <>
Subject: Pink-eared Ducklings
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 07:32:00 +0000

Martin’s & Denis’s reasons can be as valid as any. I also just looked at the COG Atlas and the old “status” series (1972, CBN 2(4): 15) both of which also confirm the “no breeding”. Though getting numbers from that is difficult (as the former only noted number of records and the letter impressions). The latter saying “usually recorded in pairs” (in ACT). I suggest that the species simply is a lot more common here now than in the years of those early references. Most people commenting on waterbirds recently mention them and supported in the latest COG ABR. Yesterday I happened to go to Kelly’s swamp and was told of there being about 100 of them there. Though I suspect that they were part of the mixed big flock of ducks that I saw flying over FSP as I arrived. That high numbers I reckon is a more likely excuse for the new observation of breeding.

Philip