canberrabirds

Things are on the move

To: "" <>
Subject: Things are on the move
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 22:21:08 +0000

Good morning all,

I have been standing on my back deck at around 0730 over the last few mornings and are seeing birds that are definitely on the move. On Saturday morning I was watching what I thought were my resident Red Wattlebirds when at least 30 flew from the front of my house into a large red gum in a neighbour’s yard.  Going back inside the wattlebirds kept up a steady stream as seen through my computer room window. Much the same happened this morning. An Eastern Spinebill has been around for the last two weeks and this morning I saw my first (adult female) Golden Whistler. A Grey Butcherbird has been in the general neighbourhood for about a month and recorded on my GBS site in the last two weeks. There was a sudden influx of Pied Currawongs at the end of February but they seem to have disappeared. They were giving their “autumn” call as I think someone reported a week or so ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the cooler weather arrives tomorrow.

My last record of a Pacific Koel for the season was on Thursday March 3 – an “odd obs” sheet will be filled in.

Mark