canberrabirds

Departure of Koels

To: 'Ryu Callaway' <>, 'COG Chat' <>
Subject: Departure of Koels
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 06:33:37 +0000

As for these comments. Suggestions such as shows most Koels migrating in the last 2 weeks of February although same stay on until the end of March.

These ideas are probably or likely to be true, however there are other options. If we know the individuals we could probably know that. However it is possible that given that the birds are basically north-south migrants, the birds that have had the summer here or born here may have left. Especially if there is a gap, we can’t rule out that late end of season birds are not other individuals who have come from further south and moving through after most have gone. As in those at end of March may not be long stayers. Same considerations apply to other species, like the Aust Hobby.

Philip