canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Departure of Koels

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Departure of Koels
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 05:36:28 +0000

I hear koel calls every day but rarely the prolonged early-season ‘koel’, usually an excitement call ‘kek-kek-kek’ or ‘uk-uk’, which from observation can be made by either sex.  I have a theory that the vocal birds now may represent a wave of younger (second year) birds, but the only evidence I have is the difference in calling and a couple of sightings of sub-adult plumage.  There is as yet no ‘normal’ year for these birds.