canberrabirds

SPRITE - not a commercial promotion

To: 'Virginia Abernathy' <>, "" <>
Subject: SPRITE - not a commercial promotion
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 06:44:53 +0000

Thanks Virginia  -  I enjoyed that but it won’t go through to the list because the image is too large.

A connection with the koels is that both species are expanding locally, the common element being that both are fruit eaters.  The bowerbirds make use of a variety of garden fruits – apart from prunus, figs, mulberries, grapes etc the bowerbirds take berries from viburnum species, lilly pilly (and the Chinese Pistacio is coming on now) and also like some vegetables.  I suppose they need a wider range of stuff because they are here year-round, and when they are roaming for new food sources people want to know what that ‘strange new green bird’ is.    g