canberrabirds

Further to the moulting Black Duck

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Further to the moulting Black Duck
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 07:18:20 +0000
Earlier today I posted an image of a Black Duck which appeared to be
regrowing feathers after moulting - probably primary and secondary wing
feathers. The image attached is of a bird that was hanging around with
the moulting duck. It too appears to be heavily into moult. The size of
the wing seems to me to indicate that this particular individual is
flightless. I don't really know whether that is correct, or not.

I have heard of some species moulting all their feathers at once and
being flightless while doing so but I must admit it had never occurred
to me that Black Ducks might spend part of their year being unable to fly.

regards

Con

Black Duck
JWNR