canberrabirds

RE: Free Phone App for emergency GPS co ordinates etc

To: Susanne Gardiner <>
Subject: RE: Free Phone App for emergency GPS co ordinates etc
From: Matthew Willis <>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 07:05:17 +0000
For geocaching I usually use my GPS in conjunction with the phone. The phone is great for showing a better and clearer map view if you want to see what caches are in the area generally. When it has reception it makes checking logs and photos (eg, if you need to use a spoiler photo for those ones where you have hiked for two hours to find something that is tucked behind one of the 4.8 million large rocks at the indicated GZ) easier. The GPS itself is more accurate I find (as well as having a better battery life, a screen that stays on, is sturdier and so on and still has all the data downloaded whether you have reception or not).

I have very much learned that having more than one source of information is the key for when the GPS goes astray.