canberrabirds

Black-eared Cuckoo

To: 'Con Boekel' <>, 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: Black-eared Cuckoo
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 00:37:58 +0000
Hi Con,

That would almost be worth going for but sorry, from the great photo I suggest
it is a young Horsfield's BC. Aren't photos annoying sometimes..... Not that I
am familiar with BeC but I have checked the basic books. On what basis? It is a
bit too brown and not enough grey all over, it shows clear reddish areas in the
tail BeC should be all grey, there is just some flank bars showing, the face
marking appears not quite strong enough for a BeC but a bit strong for a HBC. A
young Horsfield's BC is very much expected there at this time. BeC whilst
possible is surely rare.

What other comments on this?