canberrabirds

Wedge-tailed Eagle

To: 'Denis Wilson' <>, 'COG bird discussions' <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 00:03:35 +0000

I think a lot depends on where the nest is. Several years ago there was an active Wedge-tailed Eagle nest in a stand of Pinus radiata on the ridge in what is now the suburb of Lawson. It was obvious from Baldwin Drive in Kaleen if you knew what to look for. At best it was only 500 metres from houses in Kaleen. Raptor researchers at the University of Canberra were not aware of it until I told them, after myself being told about it by workers at the old Belconnen Naval Station. It had been there for years and quite possibly were the pair who were regularly taking wallabies from the old CSIRO “Wildlife” off Bellenden Street. The pair on Gungahlin Hill are quite probably this pair now as all the pine trees on the Lawson ridge have been removed.

I also found a Wedge-tailed Eagles nest late last year in an area near Williamsdale that was reasonably used to workers from the ACT Government doing their thing quite close to the nest. This nest had two very large chicks that were on the verge of fledging. I did not advertise the exact location of this nest after finding it but did show it to several local and international photographers who I know will not reveal its whereabouts.

Mark