canberrabirds

Hume wetlands - how to find them

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Hume wetlands - how to find them
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 05:18:43 +0000
Have had a few queries about this since this morning. Note "Hume wetlands" is simply the name I gave the area, not a formal name, but seems appropriate since there are 3 bodies of water in close proximity.
To get there takeTralee St off the Monaro Hwy. continue up to the big roundabout and turn right (still Tralee St). You'll see the first, smaller, constructed pond as you go round the roundabout. Continue along Tralee St and turn right into Couranga St. The larger of the constructed ponds is down that street, next to the highway, opposite the courier depot. There's a vacant block next to it, so parking is easy. If you walk down right hand side of that pond you come to a very small old farm dam which is always worth a look. The 2 constructed ponds are not fenced off.
The woodland referred to in my earlier post is across the roundabout from the smaller pond. Grass is long, but dollarbirds were close to fence. There are unlocked gates into the area and I do wander in there in cooler weather or when grass isn't so long. There has been resident brown falcons there in the past.

Sandra h