canberrabirds

Hume wetlands area

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Hume wetlands area
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 21:33:43 +0000
Two good breeding records this morning in the Hume wetlands area. The Hoary-headed Grebe pair has a chick staying very close to a parent - noticeably smaller and distinctly different head pattern (speckled not striped). The adjacent woodland had a Dollarbird family - 2 adults, 2 newly fledged youngsters. I note that breeding records for both these species are uncommon most years in the COG area of interest. One of the new Dollarbirds came and perched just above my head, followed by an anxious parent who stayed a little further away. Lots of Wood Ducks on both constructed ponds, but no sign of the usual BF Dotterel
Sandra H