canberrabirds

Photos from COG trip to Norfolk Island

To: Stuart Rae <>, "<>" <>
Subject: Photos from COG trip to Norfolk Island
From: David Rees <>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 03:48:23 +0000
Stuart

Thanks a lot for sharing this.  If anyone is interested I have video of two of the Norfolk Island parakeet NZ relatives - Red Crowned parakeet https://vimeo.com/108888469 and the Yellow Crowned parakeet https://vimeo.com/113077224.  The Red Crowned is now thought to be extinct on the mainland islands of NZ but does well in predator free reserves and on offshore islands.  The Yellow Crowned can still be found on the mainland but is a very hard bird to see, leave alone film, in the lofty forests in which it can still be found. Again, learning its call is a great help in tracking them down at least to the bush they are hiding in.

Maybe its time to consider taking some Norfolk Island parrots to Lord Howe, which also had one of these Cyanoramphus parrots, but no longer does. I note NZ has had success with trans-locating some of its six species of Cyanoramphus parrots to lower the risk of extinction of highly localised populations.

David