canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeets

To: Fleur r Leary <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets
From: David Rees <>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 00:55:42 +0000
Clever birds, On a different but similar note, I have seen house sparrows deliberately hover right in front of the IR sensors to open automatic doors to gain entry to a cafe and at several supermarkets in Auckland and Rotorua NZ.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Fleur r Leary <> wrote:
When I was in Alice Springs two years ago, lorikeets (not sure what variety) were stealing sugar packets from an outdoor cafe - they ignored the packets of sugar substitute.  They would fly off with them, perch and eat the sugar at their leisure.

On 4 Dec 2015, at 7:56 am, Stephanie Haygarth <> wrote:

> In about 2006 I was at the former Red Belly Black Cafe in Civic.  Australian ravens were taking sugar sachets from outside tables, to the annoyance of one of the waiters.  I spoke with the waiter and he said that he'd seen how the ravens had quickly learned to distinguish between natural sugar and synthetic sweeteners, always preferring the sachets of the natural product.
>
> Cheers
> Matthew Higgins
> On 04/12/2015, at 7:51 AM, Graeme Clifton wrote:
>
>> An out of area report.
>>
>> At The Rocks in Sydney on Wednesday, I saw a Rainbow Lorikeet fly down to a table at an outdoors eating venue and pick up an unopened sugar straw.  It immediately flew to an overhead tree and was joined by another.  They seemed to be biting on the packaging and presumably extracting the sugar.
>>
>> Graeme Clifton

> This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
> Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
> All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.
> When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or 'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
> List manager: David McDonald, email <>

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or 'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>