canberrabirds

Update on Pine Island Leaden Flycatchers nest

To: "" <>
Subject: Update on Pine Island Leaden Flycatchers nest
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 02:57:41 +0000

I have been to check the Leaden Flycatchers at mid day today. The mum is still feeding chicks but I could only locate 2 of them, huddled together near the top of one of the Casuarinas in the lawn area just below the nest tree. The 2 chicks did not move in the 10 -15 minutes or so that I watched and I did not see or hear any sign of the 3rd chick. She has done well to get them to that stage. There clearly is an abundance of food available the mum was delivering food at probably frequency of more than once a minute and only to the two that I could see and hear which is why I suspect the 3rd has died, rather than that I could not find it. A Grey Fantail also foraging nearby. The mum took time to chase an Olive-backed Oriole......