canberrabirds

A visit to Werribee (3)

To: 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, "" <>
Subject: A visit to Werribee (3)
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 02:31:01 +0000

Yes nice set of photos. Actually it is the young (not the adult) Spotted Harrier that is the hard one to pick. Stephen Debus pointed out that the at all ages is spotted or scalloped pattern along the upper wing (as in along the humerus) but the Swamp Harrier is at all ages relatively unmarked. That requires a reasonable upper side in flight or side or back view when perched. I wonder which of the Swamp Harrier pics (A) are the same bird. I think from the dark fairly unmarked underparts the top right and maybe top left and middle right row 2 are young birds. Young Swamp Harriers don’t have the distinguishing pale rump.

The second last photo of the Spotted Harrier is really unusual in live bird photos as you can see bird’s knee and outline of the femur, almost to the hip.

I think if the Black Kite was to get to Tasmania and New Zealand it would have done so by now.

Philip