canberrabirds

Riordan St Park (Fadden)

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Riordan St Park (Fadden)
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 10:01:06 +0000
A good morning out at Riordan St park this morning (where the Scaly-breasted Lorikeet was earlier in the year).
  • The definite highlight was a Crimson X Eastern Rosella hybrid.
  • Olive-backed Oriole (first for the park)
  • I heard my first Koels for the season from somewhere far away (probably Gowrie and north WHNR).
  • The nesting Tawnys have fledged sometime this week (although only 1 of the 2 young was seen sitting together with both parents, so don't know what happened to the second nestling)
  • Crimsons ON, Currawongs NY, and suspect the 2nd pair of rainbow lorikeets have a hollow (another pair had NY last week)
  • Great and surprised to see that a pair of Striated Pardalotes also have a hollow, as this park is dominated by Noisy Miners.
One concern I had was about blue spray paint marking a large number of trees and tree stumps. What do these mean?
While I'm on the topic regarding trees, ACT Wildlife have been getting some nestling Galahs and Cockatoos from trees that have been cut down that had nests in them. Would COG consider pushing for restriction to limit cutting down trees to the non-breeding season?

Ryu

Update: Koel at Appel Cres, 5pm.