canberrabirds

Currawong, murderer?

To: 'mariko buszynski' <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Currawong, murderer?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:47:50 +0000

I think the answer for you will be that Currawongs will attack Magpie chicks to eat them. Yes the motive could simply be pure aggression, but why waste a meal if it presents itself. Typically though they will go for smaller birds. Of course normally, parent Magpies will be well able to defend their nest against Currawongs or the Currawongs probably would not take the risk of being driven off by parent Magpies but if the parents are not present, it is a very different situation.

A stab wound like thing at the back (usually on the head) is typical of Currawong attacks. Have you ruled out Ravens (or maybe a dog or cat) as the perpetrator?

Philip