canberrabirds

On major mynah and miner matters

To: 'Con Boekel' <>, 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: On major mynah and miner matters
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:13:22 +0000
Con's points are relevant. In regard to the questions I'll just give my take on
it here:

1. "Should COG be prioritising Common Mynas or Noisy Miners for suppression?"
Well really CIMAG is a separate entity from COG, so the question is a little
unfair, although there is a clear connection of survey data flow from one to
the other. If we can get past the similar names and appearances, the two issues
are separate, with separate histories, situations and potential solutions and
problems in those solutions. It is not an alternate scenario (apart from maybe
that the available human effort to pursue the problems is limited).

2 "Is it time for ACT Parks to prioritise prime bird habitats to be protected
from Noisy Miners and to start doing some focussed culling?" Well probably yes.
But how in a place like that? There is some research going on this issue and
this should be allowed to be assessed first. The Miners being natives have
grown with the other species, so it is not a new problem. It appears likely to
be due to the fragmentation that we have created that allows the problem to
become important. I certainly remember populations of Noisy Miners dominating,
more than 40 years ago. In my young days I often went to Blackburn Lake in
Melbourne where Noisy Miners and Bell Miners were both common and tended to
dominate, such that on any visit whilst wandering through, both species would
be recorded. Over a period of years the two species would regularly swap over
sections of the reserve to dominate, even though they rarely occurred together.
I don't have written data on this and I don't know if it has been noticed
elsewhere.