canberrabirds

Wee Jasper outing tomorrow

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Wee Jasper outing tomorrow
From: Sue Lashko <>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 06:15:33 +0000
A reminder about the Wee Jasper outing tomorrow - to private property with wet forest so a rare opportunity to get into some different country.  Details below. Don't let the reference to rugged country put you off - we will not be climbing steep slopes but concentrating our efforts in the area of the river.

Sunday 18 October – Wee Jasper

This outing will be to private property near Wee Jasper. The property is called Bimbenang and is on Doctor's Flat Road. The quickest route is over Uriarra Crossing, turn right and follow the road until the T junction.  Turn right onto Mountain Creek Road and continue north to meet the Yass/Wee Jasper Road.  Turn left towards Wee Jasper and then left at Doctor's Flat Road.  Bimbenang is 14.8 kms from this turnoff.  You pass a property called Kenya, then about 1 kms further on cross a small creek (Dinnertime Creek), (which might be dry).  The gate to Bimbenang is about 70 metres further on, on the right.  It has a "No Trespassers" sign on it.  It takes about 1hr 40 mins travelling time from the city centre to get there using this route.  We will carpool from Stromlo Forest Park carpark.  Please meet there at 7.15 am and we will aim to arrive at the property by 9.00 am.  Due to restricted parking on the property we will take only four cars.

Dinnertime Creek runs through the property and usually has water flowing at this time of year.  That's probably the best spot to see birds but the property is 86 hectares in size so there are plenty of other places to look also.  It's very rugged country covered in virgin tall-timbered forest so people should wear their toughest shoes and worst clothing.

Birds that may be seen include Superb Lyrebirds, Golden Whistlers, treecreepers, Eastern Spinebills, Fantails including Rufous, numerous small green/brown “scrub birds”, Cockatoos including Gang gangs, and Wonga Pigeons.

Bring morning tea.  Wear long trousers, sturdy boots and, as it is snake season, wear gaiters if you have them.

As this is an area of dense bush and tracks are narrow, this outing will be restricted to 16 people.  Registration is essential to Sue Lashko on 62514485 or m("gmail.com","smlashko");">

Noel and Lynne Bentley, Sue Lashko