canberrabirds

Beautiful Firetail

To: "" <>
Subject: Beautiful Firetail
From: Paul Sellers <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:27:47 +0000

Beautiful Firetail finch taken at Barren Grounds yesterday morning. Took a
bit of effort, dragged myself out of a sick bed 4.30 am, drove 200 km
dodging crazy NSW drivers and suicidal wombats, only to arrive at Barren
Grounds to be greeted by gale force winds! After an hour or so of lurking in
the bushes (and being harassed by a plump budgie like bird, always on the
ground between my feet ;-) ), I heard two BFs calling to each other about 40
metres away in a tree. I couldn't see them with the binoculars, and waded
through waist high scrub to get a closer look, only to see them disappear
into the distance! I hung around patrolling the area from the carpark to the
second clump of sheoaks for another couple of hours, by which time I thought
it was too late for the sneaky buggers to be around, when I finally spotted
two feeding in the sheoaks. Happy days, mission accomplished. Thanks muchly
to Julian Teh, Joshua Bergmark and Harry Nystrom who pointed me to Barren
Grounds as the closest site for BFs from Canberra, and a special thanks to
Julie Clark who indicated the tree they would be in! Outstanding. Regards
Paul