canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 3.10.15

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 3.10.15
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 08:11:22 +0000

I did the spring survey in the southern half of Goorooyarroo Nature Reserve this morning, in perfect weather. 47 species were recorded during the 10 minute counts, and a total of 55 for the morning.

Some honeyeater migration was evident with small flocks of Yellow-faced heading south through the morning, with a smattering of White-naped HE, Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Friarbirds also on the move. Summer migrants were in reasonable numbers with both gerygones, Olive-backed Orioles, White-winged Trillers, Horsfield’s Bronze-Cuckoo, Tree Martins and Rufous Whistlers. The absence of Dusky Wood-Swallows was a surprise.

Five types of raptor included 2 different pairs of displaying Nankeen Kestrels, a Brown Goshawk, a Brown Falcon, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles and a Peregrine Falcon which flushed from a large Red Stringybark as I walked into site 1. It was carrying a sizeable item of prey but disappeared too quickly for me to work out what it was. Other species of interest included Mistletoebird, Varied Sittella, Speckled Warbler, Grey Currawong and a female King Parrot, the latter is rarely recorded on our surveys. Breeding was recorded for Australian Magpie and Wood Duck. Three different Australian Raven nests had young just off or almost ready to leave.

Other wildlife included a Swamp Wallaby, a Long-necked Turtle and 4 species of frog calling. Butterflies included a White-banded Grass-dart along with 4 more common species. There were some nice patches of wildflowers such as Early Nancy, Billy Buttons, Bulbine Lily and Common Woodruff.