canberrabirds

Fwd: ANU Sport announce mascot

To: 'Terry Bird' <>, 'chatline canberrabirds' <>, "" <>
Subject: Fwd: ANU Sport announce mascot
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 07:48:05 +0000

What an odd and sort of nice story but inasmuch as this says “ANU Sport have designed the Owl and its integration into the merchandise.  It has been modelled off the Powerful Owl which resides in Haig Park in Turner – less than a kilometre from campus.” Maybe the idea comes from that bird but the design does not appear to me to be the case. It looks to me like they have used one of the northern hemisphere Eagle Owls. Hard to imagine why. I can only see a tiny picture on the blue shirts and that appears to show an owl with ear tufts. Am I right? Yes I might not be seeing the picture correctly. The website does not appear to have a picture of just this emblem. It is obvious from any good Australian bird book that no Australian owl has ear tufts, so if I am seeing it right, it is certainly not based on any bird from Australia. If they want a picture of a Powerful Owl, that would be easy to provide.

Philip

From: Terry Bird [ Sent: Saturday, 26 September 2015 3:56 PMTo: chatline canberrabirds
Subject: [canberrabirds] Fwd: ANU Sport announce mascot

Final verse........