canberrabirds

Callum Brae today, Noisy Miners, parrot time + crippled Kangaroo

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Callum Brae today, Noisy Miners, parrot time + crippled Kangaroo
From: "calyptorhynchus ." <>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 02:33:29 +0000
I had a walk today around Callum Brae that was mostly quite dull because the Noisy Miners seem to have taken over the entire reserve. For the first 80% of my visit all I saw were Noisy Miners, or other birds being chased by Noisy Miners. The exception to this was the large of numbers of Rosellas, mainly Eastern, but quite few Crimsons, chasing each other, flocking and calling.

I saw a sad sight, a half-grown male Grey Kangaroo with a useless mishapen rear leg (probably broken after being hit by a car). It hopped slowly around on the other rear leg and when it rested it balanced on this and its tail, which had grown massively muscular to compensate (at least three times thicker than a normally proportioned one would have been). So obviously it had survived for some time; it didn't look well, but it didn't look as if it was about to die.

Finally, up along the fence-line with Mugga Lane I found a Miner free spot and there there were: Grey Shrike-thrush (4), Speckled Warbler, Olive-backed Oriole, Noisy Friarbird, Shining Bronze-cuckoo (1).

--
John Leonard