canberrabirds

Grey-headed Lapwing

To: "Williams, Roger" <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:43:15 +0000
I was planning to drive up tomorrow to twitch the bird but following Roger's message (and discovering from the Penrith locations website that it is effectively closed for the next two weeks due to a major event) sought information about the situation through birding-aus.  Some very reliable folk have advised that:
  • 3 of the 4 gates into the Penrith Regatta site are closed but some people were today being allowed in through the 4th gate;
  • some places where the bird has been sighted could be viewed from outside the venue, off Old Castlereagh Rd;
  • the event concerned is a trance/dance music festival which last year attracted 18,000 people;
  • it was very hot in Penrith today so the bird was not visible around mid-day, even by some who got inside.
I decided that the chances of seeing the bird were too low to justify the effort involved tomorrow, and were likely to reduce dramatically through the week.

Looking at the roll-up for the event I also decided that Bungendore is about as close to Penrith as I wish to be next weekend.  Possibly the Grey-headed Lapwing will come to the same conclusion and join its mates at Hoskinstown.

Martin