canberrabirds

Yellow-faced Honeyeaters

To: 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: Yellow-faced Honeyeaters
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 01:01:18 +0000

Yesterday I took a visiting Western Australian birder up to the area between Blundell’s Creek Road and New Chums Road in the Brindabella Ranges, searching for Red-browed Treecreepers and Spotted Quail-thrush. Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were giving their territorial calls in almost all of the places we stopped and an Olive Whistler was calling near the old Lee’s Creek banding site. Highlights for my visitor were his first ever Red-browed Treecreepers, and great views of male Flame Robins and a male Crescent Honeyeater. Brown and Striated Thornbills and Spotted Pardalotes were also nest building.

Later we visited Campbell Park where we ran into Elizabeth Compston. Here my visitor saw his first ever Speckled Warblers and again saw species he had only seen once or twice before.

From CP we went to check out the Powerful Owl in Turner. It wasn’t sitting in the dense tree where I had seen it the day before, rather it was in a Pinus radiata that was quite open. This tree was in the middle row (there are 5 rows)  and the 5th tree down from the road.

My visitor left to fly back home a very happy birder.

Mark