canberrabirds

Information Please

To: Mark Clayton <>, 'Julie Clark' <>, 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: Information Please
From: Andrew Cockburn <>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 01:45:04 +0000
Hi Julie

The bird (most particularly in the 553 image) is in what Ian Rowley called the ‘blue-back’ display, where the pale blue feathers are erected as reflective shields, and the black plumage is positioned  as a frame for the pale blue feathers, completely obscuring the brown wings and white belly from some angles (hence ‘blue-black ‘).  This display is now known to be used exclusively on foreign territories in order to attract extra-group matings later in the breeding season. It is sometimes accompanied by carrying a yellow petal and flower.

Cheers, Andrew Cockburn