canberrabirds

A wander this morning

To: Harvey Perkins <>
Subject: A wander this morning
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 04:20:42 +0000
Harvey

Its good to hear they were there yesterday, and probably means simply that they were elsewhere in the vicinity when I passed by.  A couple of other anecdotes, relating to the visit by me and Barbara Allan on Wednesday morning:
  • When we visited there were 3 visible right by the road.  In the same half-day Julienne could locate none.
  • Earlier in the week another observer (sorry, can't remember who) reported seeing a very stationary seated bird and wondered about breeding.  I also saw this behaviour the following day but when B&M checked there were no sitting birds evident (and we specifically looked for them, where I had seen them).
The essential message is to keep checking.

A somewhat worrying sight this morning, from the view of sitting birds was the half-eaten corpse of a sheep about 300m NE.  Given that said cadaver wasn't there on Wednesday I suspect that fox or wild/feral dog are the likely villains and don't believe they'd pass up feathered white meat if it was available.

WRT skylarks my records of this area show them to be recorded more or less every month.  I suspect the variation which is apparent is due to the amount of singing they do, together with whether an observer has been through the Plain in a given month.  July/August seems to be the usual start of the singing season which goes through to about January.

Martin