canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Odd obs at Carwoola

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Odd obs at Carwoola
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 00:38:13 +0000

It will depend …

From: Martin Butterfield [
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015 10:20 AM
To: COG List
Subject: [canberrabirds] Odd obs at Carwoola

While driving into town the other afternoon a flight of 4 Australian Wood Ducks were flying down Captains Flat Road in front of me.  I was doing 90kph (wot, exceed the speed limit, moi?) and I was not gaining on them greatly.  Does anyone know what speed these birds fly at?

Two fan-Tailed Cuckoos were calling on the morning of 9th.  They were about 2km apart so I don't think is was a single mobile bird.

When I took the small dog out for her pre-bed pitstop last evening a passing Tawny Frogmouth swooped her.  I don't know which was the more surprised.  (Although that is a good story I suspect it was actually just accidental convergence, as the Frogmouths normally take no notice of her at all.).  What may be more interesting is that I have seen the Frogmouths hunting over the lawn 3 evenings in the past week.