canberrabirds

Plumed Whistling Ducks

To: COG List <>
Subject: Plumed Whistling Ducks
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 03:06:14 +0000
Following on from David McDonald's recent report there were still 21 Plumed Whistling Ducks at Trucking Yard Lane this morning.  Initially they were right against the fence beside the road but then marched off, whistling as they went to the far side of the dam.  It was very easy to see the description of them as "Tin Soldiers" which someone has mentioned to me.

For the 2014-15 season The first time I recorded the species was in September 2014.  This was the first time they had been recorded before October.  They were absent (or at least not reported) in May 2015 but it seems to me they are are approaching the stage of being resident.  I am giving some thought to how to establish where they go when not on the two 'core dams'.

Martin