canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 21.6.15

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 21.6.15
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 07:57:19 +0000

Prue and I did our winter survey this morning in beautiful conditions although it was a little foggy to begin with. The ground was soggy after the recent heavy rain, and some creeks were running.

36 species were recorded for the morning, 30 during surveys. These are fairly typical totals for winter. We coincided with mixed flocks on a few of our sites, as is usual for winter these included such species as White-eared Honeyeater, Scarlet Robin, Golden Whistler, Grey Fantail, Superb Fairy-wren, Weebill, Striated and Spotted Pardalotes, and Striated, Brown, Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills, in various combinations. The last named was probably the most numerous. Other species recorded during the morning included several Mistletoebirds and Speckled Warblers, Brown Goshawk (the only raptor noted), a pair of Tawny Frogmouths, a smattering of Little Ravens, and a flock of at least 50 Welcome Swallows. Australian Ravens were very prominent with several noticed displaying and chasing other ravens of both species out of their territories.