canberrabirds

FW: ?Barking Owl in O'Connnor

To: 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: FW: ?Barking Owl in O'Connnor
From: Nicki Taws <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 21:45:32 +0000

From: Susan Robertson [
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 5:16 PM

From: Susan Robertson
Sent: Monday, 15 June 2015 5:09 PM
Subject: ?Barking Owl in O'Connnor

My daughter who lives in Caladenia Street, O’Connor heard, what she and her daughter think was a Barking Owl on their roof at 3am today (Monday).  They heard possums running up and down the roof in what seemed to be a very frightened state, making a lot of noise.  The call they heard also came from their roof (so it wasn’t a dog!).  They know Boobooks well and we played the Powerful Owl call which was nothing like what they heard.  We also discarded Sugar Gliders as a possibility.  Cath has heard Barking Owls in the wild on at least two occasions so she knows the call.  We would be very interested to know if other local birdwatchers have heard it.

On another topic:  In the last few days I have seen 100+ Red-rumped Parrots on the grass next to the lake  behind the National Museum on the Acton Peninsula.  I’ve never seen such numbers before and wondered if that was unusual?

Cheers,

Susan Robertson