canberrabirds

Golden-headed Cisticola at an Amaroo Pond Last Week

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: Golden-headed Cisticola at an Amaroo Pond Last Week
From: Harold Schranz <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 06:13:07 +0000
Hi Mark

Thanks. I only had a few seconds (little birds tend to be flighty!) and the camera must take the credit!

I suppose it is a male one ... I assume this is breeding season ...

"In breeding season, the male Golden-headed Cisticola has a golden-orange head, which is crested when calling, with a paler chin and throat, and a boldly streaked black to dark grey and golden body. The tail is black, with paler tips, and is shorter during breeding season. Females resemble non-breeding males, with buff-brown upper parts, heavily streaked black and dark brown, with a golden-buff rump and nape of neck. The underparts are cream with buff tints, the wings are black, with each feather edged buff. Young birds resemble the female but are duller."

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Cisticola-exilis

Thanks again
Harold