canberrabirds

eagle-tracking

To: Stuart Rae <>
Subject: eagle-tracking
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 04:00:31 +0000
Very interesting Stuart.  I am reminded of a conversation with a Ranger at Inwood on the Northern tip of Manhattan.  They had radio tagged a Bald Eagle hatched in the area.  These birds spend their formative years travelling from one Eagle territory to another, "learning to be a Bald Eagle".  The travels of this one are approximately shown below, starting at point 1.

​When I spoke with them the bird was (I think) about 3 years old and was hanging out in Northern Labrador.  It was expected to return to close (within 100km) of its birthplace when mature, and about 6 years old.

Martin