canberrabirds

Roosting aggregation of Satin Bowerbirds

To: Philip Veerman <>, "" <>
Subject: Roosting aggregation of Satin Bowerbirds
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 23:07:05 +0000
Philip, a very interesting observation.  Pre-fires I used to have a roost site about 150 m from my place, and I regularly used to see up to 80 birds moving through my GBS site, but in all the time I watched them, I never saw an evening roost flight despite careful observation, in fact I had to ask around the neighbours to find out where they actually did roost - see CBN, 25(3), 98-112, (2000).

After this publication I became aware of a possible roost site in Kambah not far from where you live (CBN 28(3) 87-95, 2003), but again in the suburbs.  After the January 2003 fires the roost did not reform, but I have from time to time wondered about a possible roost site on Cooleman Ridge in the tree plantings about 150 m off Freebody Place, but it’s a matter of getting there in time (at or before sunrise) to confirm it.  Interestingly around 7 am yesterday I had at least 8 SBB in my GBS and couldn’t help wondering whether they had roosted nearby.

These are all urban/peri-urban sites and much closer to houses than your observation - birds seemed to disperse into the suburbs, though since 2003 I’ve also seen a number of times 8-12 birds moving SW towards the Murrumbidgee.

I’ve just checked HANZAB re SBB roosting and amazingly the only reference seems to be to my 2000 paper above, so well worth investigating further.

Jack Holland