canberrabirds

Grey Plover Satelitte Tracking Project

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Grey Plover Satelitte Tracking Project
From: "Alison Russell-French" <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:04:40 +1000

The AWSG/BLA Pozible fund raising campaign, to track Grey Plover migration, has only 14 days to go. It closes on 9 June 2015. So far we have had many generous pledges with a total of $14,081 towards our $17,680 target. We’d like to thank all our supporters across Australia. It’s been wonderful to have this response and shows there is interest in this project going ahead.

Right now we need every bit of help to reach our target – and hence this update. One of the conditions of the Pozible site is that we must reach our target before any of the pledges are processed. This means that if we don’t reach $17, 680, the project won’t go ahead. You can help by pledging support and by spreading the word about the project. The more people we reach, the more likely we are to make the target.

We would also like to take this opportunity to reiterate key aims and outcomes of the project.

Grey Plovers are mysterious and intriguing birds that visit Australia during the warmer months. We know at least the females do this but we have no idea where the males go.  We also don’t know where Grey Plovers breed or stopover on their way to the breeding grounds.  We do, however, know that their numbers are in decline, and we need to know why in order that conservation action can be taken.

Fitting transmitters on migratory birds is a proven way to obtain data on where they go, where they stop to refuel, and where they breed. The transmitters enable regular updates, so it is possible to trace their journey. As an example of such a study in progress, have a look at the journey of the 5 Little Curlews fitted with transmitters in north west Australia. At this moment, 23 May, they are approaching their breeding grounds – see latest track at http://www.eaaflyway.net/little-curlew-satellite-tracking-in-2015/

How exciting is that? This is exactly what we could do with Grey Plover with our Pozible project. You can share their journey and be at the forefront of scientific knowledge by supporting this research effort.

You can help us to achieve our target by donating to the project at www.pozible.com/project/194554

Alison Russell-French

Chair

AWSG