canberrabirds

Scarlet Robin and White-winged Triller

To: <>
Subject: Scarlet Robin and White-winged Triller
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:58:23 +1000

As for: I still don’t know why the triller has been placed on the “Vulnerable Species “ list in the ACT!!!

Well yes it is odd. Or maybe not, so many of the woodland north-south migrants are facing problems of reduced and fragmented habitats throughout large parts of their range. This creates problems for them.  I heard a rumour that it was partly based on reading of that by chance the abundance for this species was exceptionally high in year one of the GBS, thus The GBS Report gives a graph that suggests a big decline. To interpret in this way would appear to be flawed. It is not a fault of the GBS or GBS Report, nor is it a trend as far as we can tell. It is just a function of that the records are just a representation of the facts. Year 1 was clearly odd for that species and unless it can be demonstrated (which it can’t) that year 1 was typical of earlier years, it was just a random variation and what looks like a decline actually isn’t.  Steve Wilson’s book (1999 i.e. before GBS data was available in any compiled way) doesn’t hint at the species ever being more common than now but suggests “it seems possible from the records that numbers are slowly declining”.

And I learn from this, that both species Scarlet Robin and White-winged Triller are given the wrong species name in The GBS Report. Oh well, a minor problem, done to conform with other earlier publications. I think we know what was intended.

Philip