canberrabirds

Walk to Stranger Pond and Pine Island

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>
Subject: Walk to Stranger Pond and Pine Island
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 16:47:00 +1000
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use this as the trip report for the outing on 20 May.

​​
21 members and guests
​ gathered on Don Dunstan Drive for a lap of Stranger Pond and a trip to the Murrumbidgee at Pine Island.  Despite a very ordinary forecast (and some very ominous clouds) the weather was kind.

​As we began our lap of the Pond a range of common waterbirds ​were noted with a mixed flock of Coots and Pacific Black Ducks coming across the Pond.  An Egret on the far bank was inspected closely and confirmed as an Eastern Great Egret.  New Holland Honeyeaters flew off into the nearby houses and a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike was a bit of a surprise at this time of year.  As we neared the dam wall there was some discussion of the specification of a small grebe which was resolved to being a Hoary-headed.  Almost instantly 2 definite Australasian Grebes were seen, with one showing breeding plumage.  We totaled 32 species on this site.

​We passed through a belt of woodland to the car park at Pine Island South.  Thornbills were evident in the shrubs along the river bank, and members eventually identified Buff-rumped, Brown and a single Yellow Thornbill.​

​ (Interestingly no-one identified a scrubwren on the outing.)  A pair of Scarlet Robins were celebrating their status  as 'vulnerable' by munching on grubs.  At least 3 Golden Whistlers were seen with 2 identified as non-adults with rufous colouration on their wings.  Rosellas were present in larger that usual numbers with 8 Crimson and 12 Eastern Rosellas seen in this area.  25 species were seen here.

​For the total trip we recorded ​47 species.

A full birdlist for the day is attached and it would be appreciated if that could be added to the appropriate page on the website.

Here is a link to my blogpost with a few snaps and extra comments (and some comments on technology).

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to include the following in the forthcoming trips section, and if it could be added to the website also that would be appreciated.

The Wednesday Walk for June will be to the Australian National Botanic Gardens.  Meet at 9am at the end of the car nearest the cafe on 17 June.

I shall explore with the Friends of ANBG what can be done about the parking restrictions (for those that are Friends) so that we can have a decent walk and a cup of coffee without getting a ticket.  For further down the track it has been suggested that there are good places near Campbell that could be explored.  Watch this space: any other ideas for forays welcome
.