canberrabirds

A couple of flocks and a big Big Day

To: COG List <>
Subject: A couple of flocks and a big Big Day
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 14:27:48 +1000
I went out on a patrol to Bungendore yesterday.  My first record of interest was a flock of 127 Australian Magpies mainly feeding in a paddock off Briars-Sharrow Rd.  As it was a good way from the frog-infested Molonglo, I presume some grasshoppers had hatched to provide a feast.

At Trucking Yard Lane there were still 21 Plumed Whistling Ducks (PWD) and, over the two sites, 87 Australian Shelducks.  This is the first time the PWD have been reported in May. A few snaps from the outing are in my blog post which also contains a few highlights from the reason for this expedition, participation in the eBird worldwide Big Day.