canberrabirds

Fire and flames

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Fire and flames
From: "Phil Malin" <>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 19:28:56 +1000
Just a quick update to my post from yesterday in case anyone is heading out to the Eastern side of Callum Brae in the morning, which I assume would have some overflow from the adjacent paddocks that I look onto. I witnessed the proverbial explosion of bird life for a 5 minute period around 11am this morning. Even the people in my office who wouldn’t usually notice a missile landing in the field outside were impressed.

When I got to work there were a couple of dozen swallows working the tree tops for most of the morning and 2 pairs of Flame Robins sitting on the fence. At 11am they were joined by another 3 pairs Flame Robins and 3 individual Diamond Firetails. The Diamond Firetails were briefly joined by a single Red Browed finch, who decided they didn’t quite look right and flew off. The Flame Robins sitting on the fence were then dispatched by a single White-plumed Honeyeater, who was in turn dispatched moments later by a Red-rumped Parrot. At this point a very large flock of Starlings flew over the trees and performed some impressive formation flying. The Restless Flycatcher that I saw last week suddenly appeared and expertly hovered about 4 ft away from us at the top of our window cleaning bugs from the web. In case this wasn’t enough, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles then landed in the adjacent paddock and proceeded to pull apart some unfortunate cadaver in the tall grass. As a stills photographer, it was one of those rare moments where I would have been flicking to video mode in order to do the scene justice. This only lasted about 5 minutes before all of the excitement attracted the resident (ludicrously large) raven fraternity who intervened on all fronts.

An hour later the 5 pairs of Flame Robins returned and remained for the rest of the day. At 3pm someone walking outside inadvertently herded 12-13 Diamond Firetails into the tree in front of my window. They appeared to be a different composition to the group from yesterday, whereby almost all of them were sporting spots.

Cheers
Phil