canberrabirds

Black Cockatoos at Majura plus cheap book

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: Black Cockatoos at Majura plus cheap book
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 04:58:47 +0000
I too wonder about the effect of removal of Radiatia pine trees. I am inclined to think that the removal of Radiata pines will indeed affect YTBE, certainly their distribution within the ACT itself where such trees are an important food source and even possibly affect their absolute numbers, that is, their survival here in the ACT. The large flock seen every few days on Percival Hill at the moment invariably flies to and from the stand of old pines between the new suburb of Crace and the Barton Highway, where they feed on the seeds in the pine cones.  There are moves to protect radiata pines in WA as one of the important remaining food sources for Carnaby’s Black Cockatoo. The South Australian Government guidelines for the large scale removal of invasive pines – Aleppo Pines mostly -  recommends the retention of those stands of pines which have been known to be a food source for the Eyre Peninsula YTBC any time in the past 10 years. A starkly relevant statistic in their document is that the food value of TEN Aleppo Pine trees  for YTBC  is the equivalent of 35.4 Hectares of natural Eyre Peninsula woodland containing the normal 5% of Hakea vegetation, YTBC’s other main food source in that region.