canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] ID please

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] ID please
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:04:19 +1000

Re the RF, something of a recurrent issue, raised when someone comes across an individual with a particularly rusty wash  -  as happens from time to time.  The meaning of this variation is not well understood.  In 2010 I used this as an example, in a CBN book review, of lack of helpfulness in the field guides.  Relevant extract is attached.  Below is a photo of an obviously breeding female RF with a pale orange wash.   How little we know.  Having said that, Chris’s photo looks like a Leaden as Mark says.  Note the colour extends up to the bill unlike the below