canberrabirds

Campbell Park this morning - and a few observations

To: "'Canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Campbell Park this morning - and a few observations
From: "Steve Read" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:28:27 +1000

Visited Campbell Park this morning with my son Lachlan. I was a little worried about the condition of the trees near the horse gate – the canopy of some was in poor condition, and a couple of others had fallen or been blown over.  The Owlet-nightjar was in its usual tree but in an east-facing hollow (a broken branch-end) where I have not seen it before.

Several reasonable flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters drifted through the canopy, over 100 birds in total.  Other highlights amongst the 32 species seen included a group of Dusky Woodswallows (I thought I had seen the last of these for the season); a pair of birds we tentatively identified as White-winged Trillers with the male in eclipse plumage (much later in the season than expected, but if they weren’t trillers then I have no idea what they could be); and a large and untidy Red-browed Finch nest low down in a hawthorn bush, being visited regularly by two adults and (from the sounds when an adult entered the nest) containing a brood of several nestlings.  The adult finches appeared to be feeding on the seeds of dock growing in a dry dam.  I presume this is also rather late in the season for an active nest.

Steve