canberrabirds

Re: PWD and YFHE

To: COG List <>
Subject: Re: PWD and YFHE
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 13:05:03 +1000
I returned to the area approximately 30 minutes after the first observations.  The situation was much the same with 10+ Yellow-faced Honeyeaters YFHE  (6+ Willie Wagtails joining them) feeding on the ground A large flock of Silvereyes were moving through the adjacent canopy, appearing to feed up there.

A review of HANZAB showed several comments that it is unusual for YFHE to forage on the ground.  The prey was too small for me to see what it was as the birds fed so I searched the area in which they were feeding.  The only insects or insect material I could identify in the more open areas being used was some modest sized ants.  HANZAB does include ants as one of the foodstuffs consumed by YFHE.  I couldn't find anything in the area covered by pine needles where the birds were also foraging.

Martin