canberrabirds

Latham's Snipe behaviour

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Latham's Snipe behaviour
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 21:18:26 +1100
Sightings of Latham's Snipe, in my experience, generally involves the birds skulking in reeds or rank growth. They will sit in the open to preen and will sometimes, but rarely, perch on low-lying, partially submerged branches and logs and the like. I haven't seen very many snipe so perhaps this view reflects a lack of experience.

A little while ago, Shorty put an image on the chatline of a Latham's Snipe perched very high at the top of one of the dead trees at Mulligan's Flat Big Dam.

While browsing through the Oriental Bird Club Image Database (an excellent resource) I came across several images of Latham's Snipe perched in plain view, with some of the images involving birds calling, suggesting that in their breeding territory they may well be more conspicuous than during the southern hemisphere summer.

 I thought others might be interested.

regards

Con

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1180&Bird_Image_ID=73352&p=4