canberrabirds

Re: Robin Id Please

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Re: Robin Id Please
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:49:06 +1100
Hi All,

Thanks to those who responded regarding the robin Id.​

Someone suggested that a summary of comments or the IDs may be useful for others, so here it is:

5 people responded  ... 4 - Rose Robin and 1 Scarlet Robin, but the Rose Robins were divided between immature male and adult female.

Comments included:
  1. Your bird is a Rose Robin, possibly an immature male.
  2. I'd call it a Rose Robin and the pink would indicate a male.
  3. I expect it’s a Rose Robin from the “jizz” you describe and the photo, particularly the white edges to the tail.  The small crescent over the bill is typical but is also present on the Pink Robin which tends to be a much more sedentary bird. Now whether it’s a immature male or mature female is much harder.  Both females and immature males can have a pale rose wash on the breast.  On your bird this is quite noticeable, more than I can ever recall seeing, so I’d expect immature male but in contrast the wing strip is quite buff suggestive of a female.
  4. My guess would be female Scarlet since from memory of my sightings it’s the only female with red on the chest.  The colour doesn’t look right for Rose.  And I think the Scarlet is the only one with buff colour in the wings.  But the white spot looks too small for a Scarlet and the right size for a Rose.
  5. Looks like a female Rose to me. I think the bit of colour on the breast is not uncommon in the female, based on what I've seen in the past.The colour on the wings looks a bit browner than it should be, but that may be a trick of the light as the breast colour is also a little redder than normal.

It was all really useful information to me. Thanks to those who responded.

Cheers
Julie

    1. ​​