canberrabirds

Powerful Owl's menu

To: "'CanberraBirds'" <>
Subject: Powerful Owl's menu
From: "JUDY MIDDLEBROOK" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:36:45 +1100

I met Terry at Turner Powl's site yesterday and he said COG members might be interested in this record of the bird's prey taken late last year. Whatever it was (probably an ordinary rat though my son thought it was a water rat because of its size), was just under the owl's branch of the day. It was alive and seemed to be able to move its front paws. Perhaps it had struggled free from the owl's clutches and either been paralysed before its escape or paralysed when it hit the ground. We walked quite close to it expecting it to scamper away but it did not move. It didn't even seem worried by our approach. I have several other photos if  anyone is interested. The high definition photos show that the bird probably had its claws in the rat's head.

Judy Middlebrook

IMG_5224