canberrabirds

Immature Golden Whistler?

To: "'Rob Geraghty'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Immature Golden Whistler?
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:55:07 +1100

Rob,

I am pretty certain that you have two different birds here. Your first is probably an adult female but the small patch of yellow on the lower left flank of the bird could indicate a bird changing (in its third year) to adult male plumage although there are no other signs pointing to it becoming a male. Sometimes old females get a bit of yellow in the body feathers.

Your second bird is definitely a first year bird, showing all the characteristic rufous edging to its wing feathers and coverts.

I have handled many Golden Whistlers while banding over the years so am pretty sure I am correct.

I seriously doubt that light could have such a marked effect on the colours of the wings. This time of year is when Golden Whistlers move down from higher elevations. The vast majority show the classic rufous patterning on the wings indicative of immature birds. Most people have probably never seen a definite juvenile – they are a bright rufous/orange ball of fluff that rapidly changes to look something like your second photo, only with a lot more rufous.

Cheers,

Mark