canberrabirds

Like water off a Swan's back

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Like water off a Swan's back
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:19:10 +1100
While photographing birds at Lake Wolumbulla yesterday I was OBE - namely a thunderstorm that had at first chuntered along the ranges and then did a right-angled turn straight towards me.

I hunkered in the Coast Ti-trees noting that the early common namers were quite correct in not calling them Umbrella Trees, and waited for the very heavy rain and lightning strikes (one very near suffused by sit down place with a luminous blue light very shortly before arriving very close by accompanied by an all-but simultaneous nasty noise) to cease. While doing so, I noticed that the Black Swans appeared to be touching their backs with their bills and then raising their heads on extended necks. They all did this for a while.

I surmise that they were drinking their own run-off.

After a lengthy rain period they started to preen and the difference in the two behaviours was noticeable.

regards

Con